Monday, January 31, 2011

Novak Djokovic beat Andy Murray to win Australian Open 2011

 

MELBOURNE, Australia: Novak Djokovic gave his old friend Andy Murray a sympathetic hug and a few consoling words, then got on with the real celebrations. Djokovic walked to the middle of the court, tossed his racket into the crowd, then stripped off his shirt and shoes and hurled them, too.

The 23-year-old Serb had plenty to celebrate after his 6-4, 6-2, 6-3 win over Murray in the Australian Open final on Sunday night. Djokovic’s second Australian title made him only the fourth active player on the men’s tour to win multiple majors. Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer have had a lock on the men’s side, winning 21 of the previous 23, while Lleyton Hewitt has two titles—the last coming at Wimbledon in 2002.

“It’s been a fantastic tournament for me,” Djokovic said. “I don’t want to fly up to the sky and say, ‘I am the best,’ or whatever. I cannot compare to Rafa and Roger’s success.” He’s the most successful player so far in 2011, though, and that’s what counts right now.

“Certainly this will give me a lot of motivation for the continuation of the season, because to win a Grand Slam at the start of the season is the best start you can ask for,” he said. “It means a world to me. I’m still 23. I still have a lot of time to go.”

1 comment:

  1. who can ever say it was an upset
    http://www.yocto-tennis-club.com
    Novak played well

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...